Victorian Branch Awards and Sponsorship
Frank Gibbons Award
Frank Ross Gibbons was a pedologist with the former Victorian Soil Conservation Authority and retired in 1986 as a principal Research Officer. In 1990 he received an Advance Australia Award for his 'outstanding contribution to the environment and soil conservation' and was Honorary Life Member of the Australian Society of Soil Science Incorporated (ASSSI) in 1992. The Victorian Branch of the ASSSI has created the 'Frank Gibbons Award' to commemorate the life and career of this well-liked and well-respected soil scientist.
Guidelines for the Frank Gibbons Award:
- The Frank Gibbons Award is to be offered annually in recognition of the contribution made to Soil Science by the Late Frank Ross Gibbons.
- The Award, which consists of a certificate, a copy of Australian Soils and Landscapes,one year subscription to the Australian Society of Soil Science Inc. and $250 cash, will be made for an essay (or report) assessed on the basis of scientific merit, relevance to soil science and the overall effectiveness in communicating research to a scientific audience. A summary of the essay (or report) will be published in Profile (a quarterly publication of the society) and the submitted work will be kept in the Victorian Branch records.
- The topic of the essay should be soil science based but can be related to broader fields such as geography, environmental sciences, engineering or hydrogeology. The student will be the sole author of the essay. The word count for the essay should be of maximum of 5000 words.
- Essays from under-graduate students attending Victorian tertiary institutions or TAFEs will be considered for this Award, with the nomination being made by the student's supervisor and the following declaration signed by the Chair of the Department: "I hereby state that the attached essay was written by an enrolled student and meets all of the requirements specified in the Guidelines for the Frank Gibbons Award"
- Any essay may only be entered once, and if no submission is considered worthy then the Award shall not be made.
- The Secretary of the Victorian Branch Committee will send the Frank Gibbons Award notice by the 1st of May. Nominations are to be forwarded to the Secretary of the Victorian Branch Committee by the 25th of October each year. A written copy of the Award Committee's decision shall be forwarded to the Victorian Branch Committee by 20th November of the same year. The Committee's decision is final and no further correspondence will be considered.
- The Award Committee shall comprise the Committee of the Victorian Branch of the ASSSI excluding the supervisors of candidates. A subcommittee may be established if required.
- The presentation of the award shall be made by the Victorian Branch President at the Professor G.W. Leeper Memorial Lecture which is normally held in November each year. A family member of Frank Gibbons will be sent an official invitation to attend the ceremony each year.
Please forward the essay and nomination to:
Victorian Branch Secretary via email email@example.com